Thursday, March 13, 2014

Printemps Des Artistes



So it's exhibition season and here's one I'm involved in this coming April. This particular exhibition looks like it's going to be a a fairly well organised affair (not like our usual!).  Istanbul is beautiful in April and the Tulips will be out (did you know tulips were a Central Asian import?), so come on over and buy a painting or two, or three.

Also comments on my artist's statement would be welcome, let me know what you think (be gentle)….

Artist's Statement – March 2014

Why paint an old pair of shoes? Why paint a rusty bucket? Watercolour painting is often seen as the definitive way to portray awe-inspiring landscapes or city scapes, why abuse this medium to describe ugly, hum-drum objects?

I love and respect the long traditions of watercolour painting and have painted many landscapes. However, I'm also inspired by observing man-made, mass produced, functional objects that have been sculpted and painted by the hand of time, where the natural elements have woven their poetry round the cold hard demands of functionality and economy. I choose at the moment to work in a realist style, it's in the recognisable portrayal of everyday things that pattern, colour, form and texture can be most surprising and attractive.

It's difficult to determine at what point one of my art-works begins. After being drawn to a scene it can take some time before I put my thoughts down on paper as I think about the technical aspects of the creative process. After spending time drawing the image I apply masking fluid and then a number of different washes of colour to bring texture and depth. I use watercolour for it's versatility and ease of use. The process of one art-work can take hours or weeks depending on it's scale and complexity.

I want viewers of my art-works to see on a number of different levels. I want them to imagine and sense the story behind many of the objects I paint, the years of wear and tear through use by ordinary people living their lives. I want them to be intrigued by the mystery of the hidden pasts that surround us in the objects we pass by, the social history they witness to. I also want them to be charmed by the beauty of some of these scenes, beauty that usually eludes our busy glances as we rush through life. 



No comments:

Signup To My Newsletter

…..