Thursday, November 10, 2011

Fish....


Yes, this indeed is another departure. From the misty (wannabe) orientalist horizons of Istanbul to a plate of fish. Natural pattern, texture and colour are what I'm intrigued by at the moment.

Fish are important here. The anchovies of the Black Sea or 'Hamsi' as they are called here are a seasonal harvest from the ocean. They swarm down into the Marmara Sea and are for sale in the bazaars of the city for just a coupe of dollars a kilo. The Barbun are the cute little pink fish and the other one in the picture is a herring I think?

All the same, one feels a wonderful sense of abundance and 'rightness' about such a protein rich food source, no additives etc.. dip 'em in flour, fry 'em for a few minutes and eat them whole (you do need to gut them though...)

It's a pity my kids don't feel the same way.



2 comments:

K Howell said...

They are very personable!

Ewen MacDonald watercolouristanbul said...

Yes, I think an emotional link was established whilst painting them, I'll get them out of the freezer and eat them soon...

Signup To My Newsletter

…..