Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Fish II and Ottoman Calligraphy


The more I look at these creatures the more fascinating they become. I'm sure you can sense a growing obsession beginning to take a hold. The colours in fish really are amazing, constantly changing and quite hard to capture. Actually one can feel quite stared at looking at this piece, lots of eyes looking at the viewer. Enough said...

Now onto something completely different: I recently attended an exhibition of the art of Islamic Calligraphy and it's specifically Ottoman manifestation. I was treated to some profoundly beautiful pieces. The works do not end with beautiful calligraphy but rather include the most intricate decoration and illustrations set in a layout with variations on traditional geometric patterns. What's really most stunning is the Ottoman love of flowers and how they portrayed tulips and roses amidst the set patterns of Islamic calligraphy. Take a look for yourself.




2 comments:

John Salmon said...

Yippee! I can comment. I was going to mention the fabulous geometric patterns over there Ewen. Lots of opportunities for inspiration I imagine.

Ewen MacDonald watercolouristanbul said...

Thanks John....Indeed this is a whole different world, but the fascinating thing about the Ottomans is that they were geometric yet they adored flowers and tulips hence the representational art that emerged...

Signup To My Newsletter

…..