Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The top ten watercolor scenes of Istanbul....? (Part 2)






I thought it was time to revisit this theme of the 'must paint scenes of Istanbul'. Büyük Mecidiye Mosque is one of those sublime places in the city. The mosque itself is built in the Baroque style in the nineteenth century and was designed by one of the Armenian Balyan family.

I love its interior the most, the views looking south down the Bosphorous at sea level towards the Golden horn are stunning. The light that floods in from the high windows is of a heavenly quality.

My fairly free interpretation of one side of the building doesn't capture the view or the dynamic background, there have been many great paintings of those aspects. I also deliberately haven't worked out how to incorporate the suspension bridge that crosses the Bosphorus above the mosque. I'll work out how to portray the bizarre tension of Ottoman Baroque with 1970s modernist architecture some time later.

As usual I relied heavily on masking fluid to withstand a fairly robust application and then lifting of colour.

More of the important views of Istanbul later....

No comments:

Signup To My Newsletter

…..